re: TR6 Commission numbers (Long)

To: TR6 6pack <TR66pack@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: TR6 Commission numbers (Long)
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:03:03 -0800
Conversation-id: <6d8c9fcc.35112918@aol.com>
Posted-date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:04:22 -0800 (PST)
Kerry,

     Hope the following info will help on the '74 vs. 74 1/2 TR-6 issue.  The
following is based upon my own '74 1/2 TR-6, comm # CF28973, built on 4 Nov
1974 (as verified by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust).

    The most accurate numbers I have found, from numerous sources, indicate
that the first carburetted 1974 was CF12501, built sometime in Sept 1973 - the
exact date seems to be lost to history.  The last 1974 model (NOT the 1974 1/2
model) was CF25777 built on 18 Sept 1974.

The first 1974 1/2 model was CF27002 built on 22 Aug 1974.  The last 1974 1/2
model was CF????? built sometime in 1975.  The first car built in 1975 (Jan
2nd) was CF29581 - a 1974 1/2 model to be sure!.

The first 'real' 1975 model appears to be CF35001 built sometime in January
1975 ending with CF39991 on Aug 23 1975.

 Notice how for 3 weeks or so during Aug/Sept 1974 both '74 and 74 1/2 models
were being produced at the same time.  This might account for how Ken
Streeters' 74 1/2 model ended up with the '74 model front valance, turn signals
and bumpers.  It seems that Triumph was not one to hold up production waiting
for 'correct' parts to arrive; they would sometimes use whatever was in the
bin!

Now as for the differences, based upon my experience and research, (but
certainly subject to be wrong!) are that the carb/emissions setup are identical
for the '74 and '74 1/2's.  In '75 Triumph added the air injection setup.

The front bumpers on the 74 1/2's had recesses for the relocated turn signals
(which were removed from the front valance, just below the grill).  BTW, the 74
1/2 and '75 had a combination amber/clear   turn signal/running light lens,
whereas the '76 model had a all amber lens.

I beieve that both models were fitted with retractable seat belts as well vs.
the earlier non-retractable three-point harness.

Both models used the same black bumper overriders, however the 74 1/2 has a
large chrome front license plate holder  bolted thru the front bumper.

On the rear bumper a TRIUMPH plinth was added to the bottom of the bumper of
the 74 1/2 model.  The TRIUMPH badge that was on the upper right side of the
trunk area was deleted and the fitment of the 'Overdrive' badge in the same
location was deleted with the 74 1/2 models.

The emissions label, located on the upper left inner fender wheel arch appears
identical for both models.

It also appears that Shadow Blue may have been a interior colour option in 1974
, but eliminated for the 1974 1/2 model range.  Exterior colours options appear
to be identical however.

Finding exact information on these late model US spec TR-6's is not a easy
proposition, as many of the reference books available on this subject are done
from a British perspective and the issues associated with the complex and ever
changing US federal requirements are simply ignored altogether, glossed over or
simply out-and-out wrong.

With that in mind, probably the best source for the minute differences is the
two volume TR-6 Spare Parts Catalogue's from TRF.  Charles Runyon put
considerable effort into these and I for one will forever be eternally grateful
to him.  I hope he has the courage to do the same with the TR2/3/4/4a series.

I still remember visiting TRF in January of 1990, under almost blizzard
conditions. Outside sat a '76 TR-6 (Green I believe) that Charles drove to work
that morning and after walking inside and getting a tour of the place (they
will do it for almost anyone who walks in I'm told - a great thing to do) I saw
Charles sitting on the floor of his office with innumerable reference materials
open and scattered all around. He was working on the carburettor section of the
parts guide and after finding out what year TR-6 I had, proceeded to ask
question upon question about the smallest detail of my particular car. He
wanted to check and recheck all his sources for accuracy.  He cared that much
and I believe he still does.  I don't think you will find a bigger Triumph
enthusiast that Charles Runyon and TRF.

My other sources are:

Original Triumph TR by Bill Pigot

Triumph Cars, The Complete History by Graham Robson and Richard Langworth

TR for Triumph by Chris Harvey

Triumph TR6 by William Kimberley

Triumph TR-6 Gold Portfolio by R.M. Clarke

Triumph TR-6 1969 - 1976 by R.M. Clarke

Hope this helps.

Steve Sutton
CF28973  74 1/2 TR-6
Ridgecrest, CA
ssutton@ridgenet.net

>  From: TR6 6pack <TR66pack@aol.com>, on 3/19/98 9:17 AM:
>
>  Hi All,
>
>  I'm putting the finishing touches on the Spring issue of 6-Pack and need
some
>  answers I can't seem to find in my resources.
>
>  What differentiated a 1974-1/2 TR6 from a 1974? I believe it was emmission
>  equip, but I can't find a source to confirm this. I know the bumper/signal
>  change came with '75 but if I recall correctly the air pump/emissions
updates
>  came slightly earlier, creating the 74-1/2 model. Can someone please clear
>  this up for me and provide a source for your information? Thanks!
>
>  Also, I have a member asking about his '74 commission number. His is
>  CF29133UO, built in November 74, but sources say the last 74 was Com. No.
>  CF-2577U and was built in Sept. '74. Is his car just titled incorrectly?
Like
>  a "1977" TR6?
>
>  Lastly, I have documented some 1974 TR6's that are less than 100 cars apart
in
>  commission number but the build dates don't make sense. For example, the
LOWER