Re: Wire Wheel Removal Update

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Removal Update
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:28:41 -0500
Cc: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Cliff Hansen wrote:

> At 04:27 PM 03/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >Well, I got the first wheel off that I tried to remove finally.
> >Liquid Wrench penetrating oil seems to have helped or my patience
> >held out better on the 2nd go round.  After getting the tire fixed on
> >that wheel I put it back on the car, this is when I noticed that the
> >wheel spun even after pushed onto the hub all the way.  Now I assume
> >that this is a baaaaad thing!!  I have no idea how long it was driven
> >in this condition.
>
> Yes its a bad thing.  See below.

Brad, I agree with Cliff, that's a very bad thing.   Probably not driven
that way for very long.

> > I still have one more wheel that doesn't want to come loose.
> >Unfortunately this one is marked left side but its on the right
> >side of the car, so I'm assuming they beat the sh.... out of it to
> >get it to stay on the car.  The octogonal knockoff nut is pretty
> >messed up.  I can't get the wrench to sit solidly enough to get a
> >good solid whack at it.  Since I will have to be replacing this nut
> >anyway, is a long pipe wrench an acceptable tool to use?  Or do I
> >need to file the knockoff down to what I can get a better grip?
> >Although I don't know how well it found file down.
> >
> >How much free play should there be when the knockoff is off the car
> >but the wheel is sitting on the hub?
>
> Very little rotating free play.
>
> Check the splines on the hub.  They should be flat-topped, not
> saw-toothed.  Same is true for the splines inside the center
> part of the wheel.  Saw-toothed splines aren't worth having on
> your car, they can be dangerous.
>
> Worn splines will allow the wheel to slip on the hub a little.
> Eventually the splines will round off (probably when under
> hard acceleration or braking) and the wheel will spin on the
> hub, maybe coming off the car.

Speaking from experience, the wire wheels _do_ come off if the splines
and centers get worn to the point that they spin.  I wore out my rears,
then switched the spline and wheel to the front.  Several days later,
when I hit the brakes hard, off she went!

Though not speaking from personal experience, an adapter and knockoff on
the _wrong_ side of the car will come off, by normal forward motion of
the car.  I am _not_ recommending this method to loosen up the knockoff,
however.

Use of a long pipe wrench should be fine, since you plan to replace the
knockoff.

--
Keith Edwards (with around 75 car-years of experience with LBC wire
wheels)