Success - Wire Wheel Removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Success - Wire Wheel Removal
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:54:59 -0600
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
Listers,

Thanks to all of the tips that I recieved from various people, (more
than I anticipated!) I was able to get the last stubborn knockoff
loose.  Some of the tips included, using washers as shims but this
didn't work.  Made sure the car was sitting on the ground but this
didn't seem to help either.  The major problem I had with this
knockoff was because the nut was in such poor shape, rounded and
gouged terribly.  Following is what did the trick.  I flatted a 4'
piece of pipe so the wrench would slide down inside.  Since it was a
thin wall tube I drilled two 1/2" holes and bolted the pipe to the
wrench.  This alone didn't solve the problem.  I then applied a
generous amount of heat with my oxy/act torch.  After the grease
started bubbling out of the nut I applied the wrench and the knockoff
spun free nice and easy.  I wouldn't try this on wheels you didn't
want to scorch the paint on as that is what happened here.  However,
since I knew the wheels are going to have to be reconditioned or
replaced I went ahead and tried the torch approach.

Once again I would like to thank all that responded to my plea for
help.

Now many thousands of dollars and a couple of years from now the car
aught to be back on the road!!

Thanks

Brad

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
March!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)