RE: Tan interior was Tan vs. white piping

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Tan interior was Tan vs. white piping
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:20:49 -0500
Cc: "'JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com'" <JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com>
Interior quest continues...

According to the official parts catalog there were two variations of
what I considered as tan.  fawn and beige.  There is also an interior
color = stone which is different than greystone and appears to be a
beige color but much closer to an off-white than tan.  Also, for the
earlier cars, it appears that geranium may have been a tan color (see
pics in Piggott)    I have now contacted the 3 suppliers to see what
colors they cross reference for each of these plus the tan that they
list as available.  Samples are forthcoming from Moss & TRF.   The
top,etc that TRF offers is called bisque and is definitely tan.   The
question of piping is still in the air although it appears that
contrasting piping was discontinued somewhere around the TS50000 range
so the Moss versions are more true to original than TRF at that change
point.

In Piggott's book on page 54; Table 4; notes 1 & 2 refer to beige trim,
hood & sidescreens.  That appears to be appropriate for 9/57-9/58.
After that it appears that Beige was only available on Black cars for
the hood & sidescreens but not interior.

I am trying to get as original as possible, but I truly don't like the
options that post TS37000's have.  I definitely don't want a white w/red
and both the black and blue interiors can be brutal in the Florida Sun.
I can live with a white hood, tonneau, sidecurtains, but again it would
not be my preference if I were purchasing the car new.   Again, black
would not be a good choice.  Was there an option to vary from the listed
combinations?  If Joe "I want a TR3 but" Customer came into the
showroom, what would happen?

Now, the BIG question for the Judges.  How closely in true concours
judging are color combinations scrutinized?  How many points would be
deducted if it is not to "standard"?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Carl Musson
Tampa, Florida