Re: 1963 tr4 facia panel restoration

To: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 1963 tr4 facia panel restoration
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:22:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: brignolo@sutmyn.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, ArthurK101 wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-17 11:05:00 EST, brignolo@sutmyn.com writes:
>
> > I have a 1963 tr4. The facia panel is white. It has some scratches and
> >  discoloring that looks like rust. What are your suggestions on "making it
> >  new" again? How to sandpaper, paint it, and how to remove the gauges and
> >  remove the facia panel from the car.

If you can find it, get the Haynes manual for this car.  It has a detailed
section on removal of the fascia (dashboard...)

To remove it, you have to:
  unhook battery (hi Art!)
  remove radio blanking plate
  undo 2 bolts at door A-Post (door hinges...)
  remove the knob panel w/ the headlight switch, choke, etc.
  remove the center gauge plinth (2 screws at top, then all connections-
it comes off as one unit)
  undo the tach / speedo cable
  disconnect the illumination rheostat, or remove it
  remove glovebox
  remove steering column

Then there are 5 screws that hold the dash (up) to the vinyl pad.  After
these have been removed the whole thing can be slid out.  Then you'll have
to remove the crash pads and the vent outlets, and whatever else is left.
Chemical strippers tend to be nasty to everything that isn't metal or
wood, so don't get any on plastic.

With the dash out, you can strip the paint of with a chemical and refinish
it.  If you want to keep it white, do so, but remember to treat the rust
first (wirebrush it and then put on a rust-eater), and paint it with good
paint.

I didn't have a white fascia so I finished it with wood veneer.  It looks
nice.

Art wrote:

> feel the cables and electrical wires.  Look at your Haynes or Bentley manual
> for a diagram of what is there.  On the four smaller guages there is a small
> bracket which holds each gauge snug against the back side of the dash.
> Unscrew the small nuts which hold each gauge bracket and remove the bracket.

The metal dash puts the 4 gauges on their own plate, which is then
attached to the main dash with 2 screws.  Thus the gauges and the
ashtray come out as one unit.  The wood dash gives them each
their own hole... FWIW

-Malcolm