Re: TR3 Timing Question

To: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Subject: Re: TR3 Timing Question
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:40:50 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 11:08 PM 3/17/98 +0000, Mike Thompson wrote he wanted to know how we set
the timing on a TR3:

Mike,

I use the ping method. Set the dizzy statically, (hole in pulley lined up
with pointer, I believe) with the advance adjuster all the way in. With
everything else (valves, carbs) set properly, and the engine _fully_ warm,
drive to your local hill. You need a decent upgrade, but not real steep. (I
have no idea how you flatlanders would accomplish this!)

Approach the hill so you are at or below 2000 RPM's in third gear, and
floor the accelerator. Did you hear it ping? If not, stop and advance the
adjuster on the dizzy a few clicks. Turn around, go back to where you
started and repeat. Keep advancing the timing, a few clicks at a time until
you hear it start to ping. At that point, you back the adjuster off a click
or two, or three, so you can just barely hear the pinging under heavy load.
I like to hear very faint pinging when the engine is lugging heavily.

Now your timing is properly set for the octane of gas you are running. If
you change to different octane gas, your optimum engine timing has changed.

Works for me, relatively easy starting, good power and gas milage.

As always, YMMV.
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA