Re: Manuals & Used Bookstores

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, "Lou O." <setter@net.bluemoon.net>
Subject: Re: Manuals & Used Bookstores
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:03:54 +1000
Cc: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
At 1:13 PM +1000 13/3/98, Justin Wagner wrote:
>There's a problem with just telling people where a book is... these
>little bookstores will be hit with countless phone calls... over a book
>that sold with the first caller.
>
>It's not just a hassle for the owner of the store, who must now field
>what adds up to a couple hours of phonecalls.... let's also think about
>all those toll calls, from all over the country... requesting a book
>that is long sold...  While the hit to any one caller may be only a
>dollar or so... how many people from the list will make the call before
>word before word has gotten back to the group that it's sold?  In short,
>how much did that helpful post to the group really COST the group?
>
>Thirdly...  Is calling the bookstore a good option, for people that are
>out of the country?
>
>It seems to me the best option is for people to simply do what I did.
>If you find a book that would be of use to people... buy it...  and sell
>it here.

I agree, but if the finder is uncertain about the price and/or demand for
the book, they might be more comfortable notifying the list first and then
buying the book only in response to a firm expression of interest.

Alternatively, giving the name, address and tel/fax number of the bookstore
to the first enquirer would overcome many of the problems that you listed.

Most people would probably prefer to deal with a foreign bookstore by using
credit card and fax.  If a private person buys the book and offers it to
the list, it can be difficult to organize foreign currency transactions
without credit cards facilities.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U