RE: Brake bleeding

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Brake bleeding
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:05:27 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
David,

> I've tried a couple of types. The first was an EZ-BLEED (I think),
> which is basically just some tubing w/ a special end on it that only
> lets fluid and air flow in one direction. That way you can attach
> it, loosen the nipple, go pump the peddle, and then go back and
> tighten the nipple. I guess this works OK -- but I've never been
> able to figure out if you've gotten all the air out since you can't
> see the darn thing while you are sitting in the car pumping the
> brakes!

I think what you are describing here is the Vizibleed that moss sells
for around $13.  This seems to be the simplest of them all.

> The second one I've used is the Mityvac. With this one, instead of
> doing any peddle pumping, you use a vacuum to suck the fluid and air
> through. It seems to work OK --- but in spite of all the gimmicks,
> having a helper pump brakes while I worked around the car still
> seemed to work better and faster than the alternatives.

This one seems to be somewhat of an over kill.

Since I believe in the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid).  I
think I'll order the Visibleed unit.  I would think with a person
pumping the pedal and another watching the stream that it would be
pretty effective that way.  Hopefully it would eliminate the pump
pump pump pump bleed tighten nut sequene.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who responded.  Its nice to know
theres someone out there who's been through these situations before.

Brad

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
March!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Needs Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)