Spitfire 1500 engine rebuild

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire 1500 engine rebuild
From: "Coote" <cooteb@cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 15:06:05 -0700
I have an engine, number FM42937UE, from a 1975 Spit, that I am considering
rebuilding.  I'd really appreciate help with some questions before I get in
too deep.

1. What would be the advantages and problems of installing a set of pistons
for a 9 to 1 compr ratio engine?  According to the TRF catalogue this
engine number would have had a 7.5 to 1 compr. ratio.  Will I need to do
anything else to the engine to get a 9 to 1 ratio, like mill the head?

2. I see from the Haynes manual that 1500's sold outside of North America
came with twin SU HS4 carbs.  Do any of you listers in Europe , including
UK, know where I might get a manifold, carbs etc and what sort of cost they
would be?  My son is travelling in those parts now so maybe there's an
opportunity. ( The engine will go in his car! )  I wonder what sort of
improvement in performance I'd get with these changes?

3. What is the max oversize for reboring? I see the Moss catalogue lists
pistons up to .040 over, but the Haynes manual says oversize pistons are
only .020 over, so I am confused.   The engine came from a parts car and
had been left with the head off.  There is quite a bit of corrosion in the
top of cylinders, so if they can't be rebored I'll be looking for another
block I think rather than having sleeves installed. The crankshaft has been
crack checked and measured and is just fine.

4.  Any other things that are worth doing "while I'm at it"?  Without
adding a lot to cost.  Balancing?  Gas flow improvements to head?  I'll get
alloy exhaust seats I think.