Spitfire Headlamp switch--update, thanks

To: "Benjamin L. Harrell" <mp2817@medmail.mcg.edu>, otmc@bc1.com, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK, spitlist@gte.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Headlamp switch--update, thanks
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 98 08:12:05
Thanks to all who offered advice about how to get
the stock spitfire switch out of its plinth.

It turned out that my dead switch was not stock, so
the amazing similarity of the NAPA P/N below
was not really so amazing, after all.

The "replacement" switch had been mounted in a
very clever way, in which the threaded mounting
boss was concealed with a neat little black plastic
sleeve.  I had to unscrew it with needle nose pliers
before I could remove the switch from the plinth.
Within my black plastic plinth is a rectangular
aluminum panel, to which this replacement switch
is mounted by means of the threaded boss, held
in place with the clever little plastic tube (rather
than a nut; though this time I added the knurled
nut in addition to the plastic sleeve.)  I assume
that the aluminum panel is not original, either.

I had already checked one catalog (VB) to see if
replacements were available, and I didn't see
one listed.  I replaced my old aftermarket switch with
another new NAPA (see below) switch, which works fine,
but is probably not original.

One respondent said that he bought a replacement
for about $12; I would like to know who sells a
replacement.  For now, though, I have functioning lights,
operated by a pull-out, two-detent, switch with black
plastic knob, which works fine, but is not original.

Thanks to everyone for advice offered.

> For grins, I stopped at NAPA this morning to see
> what type of aftermarket replacement headlamp
> switch they might have (anticipating I might someday
> figure out how to get mine out!).  I was amazed
> at the similarity of their P/N HL6049 ($7.99) to
> the part that is in my car.

Ray James

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute