ignition - tr6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ignition - tr6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:50:50 -0700
Listers,

First a bit of info, then my questions...

This weekend I finally installed the Pertronix Ignitor electronic
ignition kit I acquired last spring. I must say that not only did the
install go extremely smoothly, but the end result is extremely
satisfactory.

Although I did have to "move" the hole for the screw which holds the
unit to the distributor 1/16" as directed in the instructions supplied
by lister Roger Bolick. This was quite obvious when testing if the rotor
would clear the module. For anyone contemplating the swap, I would
highly recommend testing the rotor motion through its full arc to ensure
all is clear.

Also, I was unimpressed with the cheap plastic sleeved crimp-on spade
lugs supplied so I just switched them for my own two-crimp ones (like
the ones on most of the wiring in our cars - one crimp grabs the wire
insulation, the other grabs the actual stripped wire). But this is
minor.

The result was very noticeable - car fires up on first turn of the
starter each time. Unbelievable! I did not have any starting problems
prior to this upgrade but never on the first turn of the starter - the
difference is very noticeable.

One thing I noticed is that my idle speed increased quite a bit after
the upgrade. I am sure my timing is off as well now but as my timing
light is inoperable for a while I have to make do with the way the car
is.

Once the effects of the ignition module were apparent, I also upgraded
the coil from stock (externally resisted coil) to a Lucas Sport coil. I
have not noticed any difference yet but again, I want to be able to have
a functioning timing light before making further adjustments. I also
intend to widen my spark plug gap to accommodate the increased spark
form the two upgrades.

Now for my question...

I want to remove my distributor to give it a bit of a cleaning. I don't
particularly have a problem doing this but I would like to know in
advance if the distributor has only one way of going on the car. What I
mean is, is it possible to screw up the meshing of the distributor gear
with the camshaft or does it not matter how it goes back on, the timing
setting operation will make up for any change from the original
position?

Excuse the naive question but obviously I have never removed a
distributor from a car before and want to make sure I understand what I
am getting into before proceeding further.

Thanks for any insights,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada