Re: Spitfire Ignition Timing ???

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Ignition Timing ???
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:38:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Brad Kahler wrote:

> > I'm trying to set the timing on my Mk1 Spitfire and can seem to
> > decifer the pointer on the timing chain cover.  How do you know where
> > 4 or 5 degrees BTC is ??  The haynes manual is useless and so is
> > cylmers.  Can anyone help me out on this?

Brad, you don't really need to know anything except where top dead center
is, assuming you are using the original type Delco distributor. The
factory manual calls for setting the "vernier adjustment" to full retard
and the #1 cylinder at TDC. Set the points to just beginning to open by
turning the distributor, tighten that down and then use the vernier to
adjust the timing to 13 degrees BTDC, with one click of the adjuster
equalling one degree of advance.

BTW, 13 BTDC is for the "Mk.1"; 17 BTDC for the Mk.2; and 6 BTDC for the
non-emission-controlled Mk.3.

--Andy