Re: tonneau cover

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: tonneau cover
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:49:21 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>  When I
>  received it, I tried to fit it on my car but could not get the cover to
>  stretch enough to fasten the rear snaps. I believe this is due to the
>  cover not being used in many years (he bought it in 1986, never used it)
>  and the less than summery temperatures. I plan to wait until a warm day
>  in the spring when I can leave the cover in the sun to warm up and
>  "expand". Then I will try to fit it again.

Peter, I have used my tonneau cover since '64.  Several comments for you:

1)  Put the rear end on first, then snap the dash snaps and finally the door
snaps.

2)  The cover will stretch with time.  To speed this up leave it zipped up and
fastened whenever you are out of the car.

3)  TRF has the male "lift-the-dot" for the seat.  But check very carefully to
see if it's not already there.  Friend of mine had a TR6 since new and just
discovered last week that the snap was under the seat vinyl!  He had used an
after market AMCO cover, which had no "down-strap", since the '70's.  My
experience has been that the "down-strap" works well.

4)  I leave the tonneau cover on almost all the time.  When driving alone I
unzip the cover, fold the driver's side under and back and leave the passenger
side closed.  When I have a passenger,  I leave the cover zipped and fold the
part (which covers the seats) under and behind the seats.

IMO - all convertibles should have tonneau covers. :-).  Cheers.