Re: GT6-3 coil/ballast?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@neb.voa.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6-3 coil/ballast?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:40:06 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-10-31 09:20:50 EST, Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
writes:

> Until I get my new Lucas Sport Coil, does anyone know if my stock coil,
> which I still have from the PO, is internally ballasted?
> My GT6-3 white/yellow
>  power wire to the coil supplies 12 volts constant ... is this correct?

Martin:

In all Triumphs that I am familiar with, including the GT-6, if the lead to
the coil is a white wire, then the coil does NOT use an external ballast
resister.  If the lead is white/yellow, then it does use an external ballast
resister. The white/yellow wire should have the full 12 volts on it ONLY
while starting. If the coil you have is from this same car, then it should be
used with an external ballast resister.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74