Re: TR3 Fan Substitute

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: TR3 Fan Substitute
From: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com>
Date: 24 Oct 1997 14:53:05 -0500
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/; 022F83450FCA113F-HW-MTA-MN]
X400-originator: Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com
X400-received: by mta HW-MTA-MN in /c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/; Relayed; 24 Oct 1997 14:53:05 -0500
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/; Relayed; 24 Oct 1997 14:53:05 -0500
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <022F83450FCA113F*/c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/o=MN-MTA/ou=MSMail/ou=CORP/s=Lindberg/g=Andrew/@MHS>
Mike Thompson wrote: "While living in D.C. and over heating in the downtown
traffic in my TR3, I used to frequent a place called Start Your Engines. A
mail order place possibly connected with Moss that did resto work on TR's."

According to one of Moss' TR3/4 catalogs, "Start Your Engines" was an
independent TR restoration shop that was bought by Moss, sometime in the
early to mid '80s.  This may have been when Moss was expanding out of MGs
into other LBCs.  At any rate SYE has become, or has been combined into,
Moss' east coast warehouse.

Mike Thompson again: "They gave me this hint. Use a TR6 or TR250 yellow fan
mounted backwards, to clear the brace that runs behind the fan."

My car, a 1960 TR3A, was rebuilt for one of its previous owners (not a DPO)
by SYE in 1981.  They did a good job (although they could have contracted
with a better paint shop) and the engine still runs strong.  Made the trip
from Minnesota to Texas this summer w/o problems.  At any rate, amateur
concours judges are always complaining that it has a yellow fan.  But it
works well, and it's nice to know that SYE made the change when they rebuilt
the car.  Do you think I can start claiming it's a "period accessory?"

John Rossi wrote: "I have a volvo fan on my 57 tr-3.  And it works great.The
VTR has some infomation on this tech. tip.  I  will dig around in my papers
and see if I can find the volvo part number.  You can still find them."

You probably CAN still find them.  But not new from Volvo.  And I'm not
selling the fan off my Volvo 122 daily driver.

Andy Lindberg