Re: Tranny Removal

To: Carol Zingone <jrhoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny Removal
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:56:49 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Just went through much the same thing with "The Beast".  I pulled the
tranny after replacing everything a few months earlier, convinced that it
was someting inside.  Let me be so bold as to share what I learned.

The earlier cars, or so I've been told, had an adjustable rod between the
slave and the arm on the throw-out shaft.  When I got under the car, the
arm would move a good half inch before it came into contact with the
pressure plate (I could move it that far before it stopped, when it was
not hooked to the slave rod.)

The slave ONLY has the capacity to move the rod about half an inch, so if
there is any play in the system, you will lose too much before the rod
even gets to BEGIN to push the clutch in.  So before you take the tranny
out, which is a big pain in the ;-), try:

Make certain the slave "ears" (the tabs where the bolts go) are BEHIND
the mounting plate and not in front.  It can be mounted both ways and
mounting it in front will lose three-eights inch to start with.

Mount the rod pin into the top hole temporarily to see if that helps.
You should have a little more clutch and not so much "ggrrrinnnndd".

I put half-inch spacers under the slave "ears" which moved the unit back
enough to give me some more clutch.

I think I am still going to have an adjustable rod made so that I can
take the slop out of the system.

Of course I tried this AFTER I had taken the tranny out needlessly,
AGAIN!!!!

Hope this helps.....let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Michael and TR666...."The Beast"