Re: Vertical Link

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vertical Link
From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 07:50:18 PDT
Joe,

The vertical links is the cast iron suspension piece that's vertical
(what a surprise!) with the bottom end in the trunnion and the top end
had a ball joint.

By the time you can see visible cracks it's too late!  It wouldn't be a
bad idea to clean the suspension pieces and take them to your friendly
machine shop to be magnafluxed/crack tested.

Will the vertical link break?  Ask anyone who watched my slide in the
afternoon session of the VTR autocross.  I was lucky that I was
travelling at a relatively low speed in an open parking lot!

Jim

Joe,
*I'd say it depends on how the car's been driven.  When I bought
mine three years ago, it had apparently been driven over potholes and
bumps, because the left wishbone was completely broken through.  I
assume
this is the part to which you're referring.  I don't know how to test
it,
but you may want to be aware that it could break, but I don't know what
damage that'll do to the rest of the car, or if it'll affect the
handling.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U
Bloomington, IN

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Joe Merone wrote:

> Good day Triumphant ones:
>

> I'm in the process of putting together a parts wish list for the
winter and
> this year's down-time project with Trevor focusses on the front end.
The
> shocks and springs were replaced only two years ago but now I'm
planning on
> doing the bushings and ball joints along with the roll-bar bushings
and
links.
> Here's the question:
>

> The TR6 restoration book specifically mentions the vertical link as
high
load
> carrying parts and possible problem areas.  It suggests replacing
these old
> original suspension parts after 60,000 miles.  Do you all agree?
Anyone
have
> any confirming evidence?   I don't see any cracking in mine but would
not be
> above changing them for the sake of safety while I've got the front
end
apart.