Re: Displacement

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Displacement
From: "Larry Quirk" <Larry.E.Quirk@gov.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:19:52 -0600
Greg, check out the price of the pistons before you decide on a 2.0L or a
2.5L.  The GT6 2.0L pistons are very expensive and will cost you well over
$100 (CDN) each.  The 2.5L has what you will want for street duty and that
is low & mid range torque.  General rule is "torque for the street,
horsepower for high speed only".  Build for torque and you will never
regret it.  With respect to the chamber volume for a 10.75 to 1
compression.  Just do the math using the formula:

cylinder pressure = {[(1/4 pi) x bore squared x stroke] + chamber volume} /
chamber volume

fill in what you know, add the gasket volume to the cylinderhead volume.
Unless you zero deck the pistons, add the volume between the piston crown
to the block deck as well.

And hay, what kind of motor are you building that can run reliably on pump
gas with a 10.75 head.  Its going to take a stout cam to keep things from
pinging apart.  Have you thought of the intake manifold vacuum you will
have at idle (CV carbs???).  What timing curve do you think it will take.
Planning on running propane???  Back to those pistons -- I assume you would
like to run forged units to handle the heat stress you will be subjecting
them to.  I know of no source for 2.0L forged pistons.  All I found were
OEM units made by AE (Hastings) in England.  Perhaps a lister across the
pond can shed more light on what is available in the home land.

TTFN:  Larry Quirk (another frozen Canuk)