Re: Winter storage tips wanted

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Winter storage tips wanted
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:53:22 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe,

I'll confirm previous responses regarding changing oil just before
lay-up. If the coolant hasn't been changed in two years, do a back flush
and refill. Although not related to winter storage, if your hydraulics
haven't been flushed in two years, now's the time. In addition to
Sta-Bil in the gas tank, I also add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (not
methynol).

My procedure is to change the oil and filter, and with Sta-Bil and
bottle of isopropyl in hand, I drive to a very local gas station (no
more than 10-15 miles, round trip). Add the chemicals, fill the tank,
and drive home. The ride home gets the chemicals up into the carbs. Jack
up the car and support it at all four corners with jack stands, keeping
the suspension compressed to its normal ride height. Remove the wheels
and store inside. Remove the battery, take inside, hook up to a special
"winter" trickle charger with floating circuit (ususally available from
boating supply counters or mail order). Remove the spark plugs and add
about 2 teaspoons of oil to each hole, reinstall the plugs. Arm it with
mouse traps and moth balls (The varmits will find a place to nest. They
especially like to chew on wiring harnesses).

That's about it. Don't try to start it over the winter. Starting and
idling is worse than letting it sit. If you do have to run it, take it
out on the road and get it up to full operating temperature.

In the Spring, pull the plugs again, add a little more oil. Disable the
ignition system and crank the engine over until you get oil pressure.
Reconnect the wiring, bolt on the wheels, kick it off the jack stands,
light it off, and go for a Spring ride.

Charlie B.