Re: tr6 diff mount crack

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 diff mount crack
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com`>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:19:35 -0400
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I have the dreaded right front diff mount crack. I need to
> have it repaired but unfortunately I have the diff, trans
> and drive shaft out of the car right now. The car is up on
> jackstands in my parent's garage.

I had a similar problem on my 1974 TR6 this spring.

>From what I can determine, for the best repair, the body
should be pulled from the frame.

For an adequate repair, the body can be left on the frame,
assuming that the welder has appropriate heat shielding to
shield the body / gas tank and can fabricate the needed
reinforcements.  This is what I ended up having done.

The welding was done with the diff removed, and the car
up on an overhead lift.  The TRF-spec reinforcements
were fabricated from a template I have (courtesy of
Bruce Krobusek, via TRF), and welded on both sides.

In my case, the mount had cracked in the lower portion
where the bolt passes through the mount.  The bolt
had also broke free in the top portion of the frame.
An additional piece of steel was welded in place at
both the top and bottom portions of the mount, and the
TRF-spec reinforcements were welded into both sides of
the bracket.

I would suspect that any competent welder should be
able to do this.  Bruce Krobusek had a welder do it
in his driveway, with the car up on jackstands, but
I seem to recall that the welder cursed about it
afterwards.

The best advice is to fix it sooner, rather than
later...

-- ken

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com