Wheels

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wheels
From: "Don J. Howard" <DHoward@jht.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:03:45 -0400
This is a message is sent dirrectly to Harris in response to his message
to the net.  Then I thought it might be of general interest to any TR
driver with old wheels, prior to 1967 manufacture.

HARRIS, the centers of the TR3 wheels are quite soft, any curb meeting
will bend them, the rims are usually OK.  Any good wheel shop should be
able to straighten your wheels.  The main problem with 37 year old TR3
wheels is the RIM riveted to the center.  This type of construction is
no longer allowed by DOT.  After 37 years there is probably considerable
corrosion of the rivets themselves, let alone any age or work hardening
to make them brittle.  If you do choose to drive on these rims I would
advise you to drive with caution, modern tires can put greater stresses
on these wheels than the original equipment tires ever could!  I run
minilite replicas, but have a shiny set of originals for an occasional
look different/show session.

Cheers, Don J. Howard