TR4-fuel-system-questions

To: "'TR Liste'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4-fuel-system-questions
From: Steinbeck Michael <Michael.Steinbeck@start.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:03:01 +0100
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at infwgw01.infwgw01.sinfo.start.de
Hi List,

I Still have a limitation in the max. rpms under load
(except it now goes up to about 4500 rpm).
Earlier I wrote (Subject: TR4-SU-H6-fuel-pump-questions):

>It pulls through to about 4100 rpm and then it is quickly changing
>between acceleration and deceleration maintaining the 4100 rpm.
>My first thought was that the carbs aren't getting enough fuel, but
>now I'm thinking again if maybe the carbs should be adjusted.
>Here is some additional information: My TR4 has K&N air filters,
>an electric fuel pump and SU H6 carbs.

Because of some hints from the List (thanks to all the contributors), I
checked out the max. rpms in a lower gear (the 4500 rpm were in 4th with
O/D). With a lower gear (4th no O/D, and 3rd) or when accelerating, the
car would rev up higher (5000+ rpm) - so I suspect a fuel delivery
problem (this was also pointed out by Richard Hone). Also I tuned the
carbs which were not out of tune significantly.

One other thing I checked was the fuel filter inside the fuel pump. I
found quite a lot of dark brown sediment which I flushed out (after
another 500 miles there was new sediment in the filter). Since there is
nothing to see when I take a look inside the tank (through the filling
opening) I assume, that the sediment is from the fuel lines (of which I
don't know the age and condition).

So I think my best bet is to replace all fuel lines - or do I have a
chance of cleaning them?

Any further hints or comments?

Thanks in advance!

Michael