Re: 12.41.05 step 12

To: Kristina Turner <turner@public.se>
Subject: Re: 12.41.05 step 12
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:30:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kristina Turner wrote:

> BL manual, section 12.41.05 step 12. Lift off cylinder head. As if.
>
> Thanks listers for help getting my TR6 engine on to a stand.
>
> Now for getting the head off. I've gone round with a mallet  and I've
> tried using a couple of old chisels to have a go at the gasket. The old
> chisels got even older. I didn't get anywhere.
>
> I've now left the engine upside down overnight, hopefully getting an
> assist from gravity.
>
> Anything else I might try?
>
> Adam Turner
> '74 TR6

I do not recommend using any metal items to try to get the dead off,
you may damage the head.

You might try taking a piece of 2x4 and use it as a punch.  With one
end against the head, bang on the other end of the wood at different
places around the head.

The wood gives instead of the head metal.

I hope these pearls of wisdom help get the head off without damage.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit