TR6 Camber

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Camber
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:34:12 -0400
Cc: Kevin Andrews <Kevina@emji.net>
        Kevin,

        You wrote:"The Haynes manual gives a spec of 1degree negative for
rear camber. And the rear toe at 0. Our specs at the shop say 1/2 positive
camber and 0 toe. What I got on my car is about 1/2 degree negative and 0
toe. I would look at maybe turning one of the control arm brackets
around..."

         All the data in Bentley (and elsewhere?) lists Triumph suspension
geometry in the "2-up" configuration, or two passengers. Is that how you
measured yours?

        I have a copy of Triumph Technical Service Bulletin 1-F-7, which
lists "Suspension Geometry Data" for all TR's imported to the U.S.,
measured in the "unladen" condition, and provides the following for the
TR6:
        *FRONT*-Camber: 1/4 deg positive, Castor: 2 3/4 deg, "KPI": 8 3/4
deg, Wheel alignment:1/16" to 1/8" T.I.
        *REAR*-Camber:1/2 deg pos, Wheel Alignment: 0 to 1/16" T.I.

        There are 3 notes, two of which apply directly here:

        1. Maximum permissible difference between left & right hand castor
and camber is 1 degree

        2. Subject to note 1, the maximum tolerance of camber, castor, and
KPI angles is (plus or minus) 1 deg.

        The third note concerns "swivel plates" and "side thrust". (?)

        If you measured your car unladen, it appears to my untrained,
amateur eye that you would want less negative camber, not more. If I'm
reading note 2 correctly, it also appears you are now "in spec", barely.

        Hope this helps.

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic