Re: Temp gauges

To: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Temp gauges
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:13:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> A small question. I've just installed a Smiths temp gauge (from a scrap yard
>Mini) on my sparsely gauged Herald. It
> seems to want to settle around 3/4 mark. Do these things need calibrating or
>does it mean my engine is running hot?
>
> Ta,
>
> Ben

Ben,
My suggestion is to measure the coolant temperature with a cooking
thermometer after the car warms up.  Noting where the needle is on the
gauge, you have a reasonable idea whether or not the temperature is
too high.  Also, it helps to know the temperature rating of your
thermostat.  My Spit gauge also rides toward the upper end of the
center (centre for you Brits) portion of the gauge, but seems to be ok.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit