Re: Painting TR250 Frame

To: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Painting TR250 Frame
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:06:58 +0100
Cc: JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
George Richardson wrote:

> JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I am about to paint my TR250 frame with Bill Hirsch's Miracle paint.  The
> > hard black stuff that is supposed to inhibit rust.
> >
> > ANY COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS -  IDEAS
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JoeSimcoe
> > (please respond directly to me as I am on the Digest - then c.c. the list)
>
> Joe, If you're talking about POR-15, then I'm all in favor. It won't
> look smooth, but it'll look pretty good and protect the frame. I did it
> on the frame of my TR3 in some spots, and I'm doing to do the rest of it
> this weekend.
> --
> George Richardson
> '57 TR3, TS15559L
> (getting ready to paint - and now on the web!)
> http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm
Joe

I used Bill Hirsh miracle paint on my 74 frame. I really didn't care for
the result. Make sure you are down to a bare metal surface after
sandblasting and prep it with a good metal prep.

My experience was that it didn't stick to primed surfaces (this frame
was repaired by me and sat covered for two years and then spot
reblasted). The stuff is as thin as water, runs all over and is hard to
get good coverage. When your done it still looks like S@#% and you need
to spot spray with paint anyway.

I complained to Bill and after he said I was full of S@#% he sent me a
free quart to try again.