$13,000 Restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: $13,000 Restoration
From: dstauffa@cscmail.csc.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 13:15:36 -0700
Joe wrote:

I wish I could say I did.  But then I would be lying.  My original
budget was $6K, but as time went on, that figure came and went.  I
quit counting after $12K, but figure the over $13K is accurate.
However, you have to consider the original condition of the car.
In the beginning, the '63 Spit was a rolling bucket of rust with
the engine rusting in bits inboxes in the trunk (boot).  The trans.
was in the dpo's garage with assorted other parts.  I went through
the car bottom to top and it now is in no uncertain terms a "new"
car.  If you think about it, can you buy a new Miata for $13K?  And
would you even want to?

I enthusiastically second the above!!  My TR6 frame-off restoration will
end up costing me about the same. My car was a bucket case, too.  But then
I wanted this type of challenge.  I could have opted to purchase a fine
looking/running TR6 for half the price.  I did not want to do that.  I
wanted to rebuild a car completely so that it would be like new when
complete and I would have the satisfaction of knowing that I - along with
the help of others - was able to successfully accomplish such a task.

It's been a pain once in a while but mostly lots of fun putting this
"brumbie" back together!  Mind you, I can't wait to get it on the road so
me and Shirley can enjoy all the fun events taking place in south-western
U.S.  Now that SB42 is law, I don't have to worry about passing smog -
whew.  Didn't quite know what I was going to do if I had to take the 150
hp, petrol injected TR6 in for a smog.  With the new engine, it might have
passed!

Dave
San Diego
1970 TR6 RHD PI CP51649 - "Brumbie"