V-8 Spit???

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Subject: V-8 Spit???
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 08:53:27 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK wrote:

> Morning,
>
> >I spent a fair amount of time looking at the pristine Daimler SP250.
> >While the styling is not exactly to my taste, the 2.5 litre hemi
> >definitely *is*!   Not sure if the owner saw my tape measure as I was
> >trying to be discreet.  Let's see that Jackson fella' calls my Spit
> >"gutless" after we drop *this* puppy in! :-)
>
> Nooooooooooo, I was calling my car gutless, your car was the diesel!!! :-)
>
> I'd never thought of using that engine, Hmmm a friends Dad has 3 of them
> engines and only one Daimler 250 V8 saloon, Now will he sell a spare engine I
> wonder!!! :-)
>
> On a different track, I looked at a friend Land Rover the other day, he has
> just replaced the 3.9 Rover(Buick) V8 with a 350 small block chevy, now that
> chevy engine is a small compact unit, which I reckon'd fit under an
>un-modified
> bonnet.....any suggestions for a stronger rear end???? :-)
>
> >My co-pilot for this trip owns an Alfa so the appearance of a Ferrari
> >Testerossa made his day.  The owner graciously lifted the"boot lid" so
> >we could ogle the engine. Unbelievable.  I'll take two, thank you.
>
> But did you know that a Saab 900 Turbo is quicker from 40-70!!!! I didn't
>until
> watching top-gear the other day.
>
> ps, did anyone go to Duxford last Sunday, I heard a few yank accents in the US
> airforces new display hanger, so was that any of you lot??? :-)  There were
> some smart cars there including a GT6 convertible, beautifully done, with
> triple Strombergs(why???)  that three times as much trouble!!!! :-)  The funny
> thing was, although there were immaculate cars either side of my wreck, 'it'
> probably had more photo's taken of it than any of the other, very funny to
> watch,  I usually hang around near it just to hear people's comments!!! :-)
>
> Cheerio
>
> Rich
There seems to be a lot of talk going around regarding cramming V-8's in
Spits.  Here's my take on that.

1.  If you simply want more HP, consider a V6 rather than a V8.  The
reason is that in all the cases I have seen in the past 35 years where
people have undertaken such a project, they have been stifled by the
problem of what to do about the interference of the steering shaft.
Most cut it into pieces and link it back together with U-Joints.  Do you
know what that does to the sharpness of the steering????

2.  The other main consideration is the weight.  Spit suspension was
not designed to handle the extra weight, nor were the brakes.

With the V-6 option, you get less weight and because all the V-6's I
have studied are built on a 60 degree slant (90 degrees for V-8's) most
of the engine is kept closer to the center, helping to ease restrictions
of the steering.

The Buick Park Avenue's built in the mid-late 80's (and possibly still)
have an 3.1L (I think) V-6 with Port injection and lots of chrome.  This
engine would look so cool in the engine compartment of a Spit.

Thank about it

Joe  '63 Spit