Re: Springs and dampers - help!

To: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Subject: Re: Springs and dampers - help!
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:20:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Conversation-id: <v02120003b06006683f0d@[128.84.47.176]>
Thanks for the reply Phil,
I guess I'm looking for a car that doesn't roll too much when cornering and
rides bumps without too much discomfort to the driver (or passengers).
Actually, when I first 'uprated' the suspension I loved the bumpy ride - but
then I was a bit younger and didn't have a young family!!.
I assume that I need to have more roll stiffness but does that mean I have to
sacrifice the comfort?
Andy
'69 Vitesse
'76 2.5S Estate
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes), on 07/10/97 11:39:
Andy:
It sounds to me like you ought to take out the uprated springs. If you
leave in the dampers, you'll have a more "jiggly" ride, but it won't be so
"harsh" over bumps.

The whole subject of suspensions is pretty involved, and I'm sure someone
on the list is better able to discuss it than I am. When you seek "better
handling", what are you asking for? More roll stiffness, sharper transient
response, less brake dive, etc, etc? As you can see, you must identify your
goal more clearly. This will prove to be an interesting and educational
topic for the list as a whole, I'm sure.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)