Re: FW: Spitfire electrical quick (surprised?)

To: mjb@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu, eric@rpm.com
Subject: Re: FW: Spitfire electrical quick (surprised?)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-02 20:01:41 EDT, Eric Rupert writes:

> I obviously needed to run my wipers for quite awhile
>  and after about an hour, they wouldn't shut off!  I was using them
>  intermittantly in the beginning and they were turning off and on properly.

>  would have to assume it is something to do with heat expansion within the
> wiper
>  motor itself.  Any ideas?  I parked the car in the garage and in the
morning

>  they were working properly again.

Eric:

Three possibilities come to mind.

One, there is a mechanical switch inside the motor housing that keeps the
motor running after you turn off the main switch, till the wipers reach the
park position. Perhaps an accumulation of old grease or other crud is causing
the switch to bind when it gets hot.

Two, there could be a short in the internal wiring that only causes a problem
when the wiring expands from the heat.

Three, The switch itself is the problem, but I think this is unlikely.

Either of the first two cases should be apparent from a physical examination
of the motor internals, and the third can be evaluated with a voltmeter at
the back of the switch.

My guess would be number one.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN