RE: rheostat

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: rheostat
From: Trevor Jordan <trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:05:17 +1000
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
It is essentially an economy measuring device: the higher the vacuum, the
less fuel is being used (does anyone have a better explanation?).  But it
can also be used dynamically as a diagnostic device by watching the
response to opening or closing the throttle quickly.  It is so long since I
have used one, that I cannot remember exactly how this works.

See: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html and

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/TI-219.html

for the use of a vacuum gauge in setting up a carb (but you do not need a
dashboard gauge for this).

A vacuum gauge simply measures the vacuum in the intake manifold.  With the
throttle closed, it should measure almost 14 psi or 30 inches Hg or the
metric equivalent.  With the throttle wide open it should fall almost to
zero.  It can be connected through any convenient point to the manifold -
usually with a T piece to tap into an existing vacuum line.

Dashboard vacuum gauges still exist; I found one at:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U