Re: oil viscosity

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: oil viscosity
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 05:10:50 GMT
On 2 Oct 1997, Ken Streeter wrote:

> HMENTZEN@aol.com wrote:
>
> >  Right now I'm using 20/50 weight oil in my Spit. I drive
> > the car all winter in MA. Its less than 5 miles to work each
> > day and I'm wondering if a lighter weight oil would work
> > better in cold weather situations.  TIA!
>
> I would highly suggest switching to at least 10W40 for
> the winter in MA.  At some point of chilling, 20W50
> becomes too thick to be pumped by the oil pump.  From
> what I can find out, this is about 10F for 20W50
> Castrol GTX.  5W30 Castrol GTX should be good down
> to about -15F.  For best protection against hard
> starts, and extra wear from jello-like oil, switch
> to a synthetic.

As universal oil for pretty hot summers (like this year), and really
freezing winters alike, we use 5W-50 synthetic. Works like a charm, and
the engine starts effortlessly whatever the temperature. I'm quite
convinced this means that wear is also reduced. There is also a
0W-something for those who are planning trips to the North Pole.

5W-30 is a bit on the thin side for summer use, IMHO, which is an
important consideration since a synthetic oil will often last from one
season to the other. Interestingly, Mobil does not sell 5W-30 here, only
5W-50.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway