Re: TR-4 Diff stuff

To: <WINDOWSEET@aol.com>, <bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: TR-4 Diff stuff
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:09:36 +1000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> The Quaife unit sounds nifty but I've heard that it only fits GT6's
equiped
> with 3.63 rear ends which were installed on overdrive equipped cars. Word
is
> that it won't fit the 3.27 dif.

As I understand the quaife (or other brands) will not fit the 3.27 due to
space limitations within the case. If you have ever pulled a 3.27 rear case
off, the ring gear has to be in one particular spot (or at least mine did)
on it's rotation for ground parts of the carrier to let the rear case come
off! Having never opened up a 3.89 or 3.63 (only 4.11 spit ones) I can't
comment on the amount of room in them.

The 3.89 fitted to the overdrive cars (although some could also have
3.27's) must have a different ring / pinion size relationship that allows
the quaife to fit within the ring gear?.

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (for sale)