Fall in New England

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fall in New England
From: twalli@vanheusen.com
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:33:23 -0500
To all who wish they were in New England:

Although the Autumn's color show is still a week or more away from its peak
here in coastal Maine, I would like to extend an open invitation to any and
all to come on up for some great Fall driving.  This weekend (Oct. 4 & 5)
there are two great events here in the great State O' Maine.

On Saturday the 4th, the Down East Sports Car Club will be enjoying its
annual Fall Foliage Tour.  This year we'll be leaving from Friendly's
Restaurant on Western Ave. in Augusta at about 10 a.m.  We'll cruise over to
the coast at Wiscasset to pick up anyone who cares to meet us there (at the
Gardiner Savings Bank parking lot on Rt. 1), and we'll be heading up to
Camden from there.  We'll keep inland by a few miles to check out the hills
and small towns that most tourists don't see during the great Summer
invasion.  There will be lots of twisting roads through farms and woods that
should be in full color by the weekend.  We'll stop at an apple orchard to
buy some freshly squeezed cider and get some crisp apples, and if you want
to, you can even pick your own.  We plan to end the tour in Camden at the
top of Mt. Battey.  The view of the ocean and of Camden Harbor is one of the
best on the entire East coast!  When we're through with the official tour,
we may drive to Warren to check out the Land Rover resto. shop there
(picture a whole lot full of nothing but Series I and II Land Rovers!)

On Sunday, there's the annual foreign car show at the Owl's Head
Transportation Museum.  This year they're featuring British marquees.  I
understand that admission is free if you exhibit you British car.  The
museum is really cool, with both cars and air planes.  If you're a "gear
head" this museum was made for you!  I have heard that a sizeable contingent
of LBC owners will be making the trek from the Bangor area.  I hope that any
more will make it too.  Actually, both events could be nicely combined, as
Owl's Head is just a moose turd's throw away from Camden, and there are
many, many motels and B&Bs in the area.

Finally, the weekend after this, there's the "Fall Fraternity Tour" in
Westminister Vt.  By then the color should be at peak in Southern Vermont as
well.  This is an annual event that the New England Triumphs participate in,
and I've heard lots of people talking about making this one.  Again, lots of
twisting roads, small towns and farms, bright colors, and British Cars
everywhere!

After these events, I plan to take a week off from work to pull my rather
noisy transmission so I can rebuild it over the Winter in my basement (more
about this later I'm sure), and also to get the last of my fire wood in and
under cover.

I hope I've persuaded a few of you Sobers to make the trip...

     Tom Walling