Re: TR6 thrust washer tools

To: Chad Jester <triumph@uriel.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 thrust washer tools
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 20:42:55 +0100
Cc: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chad Jester wrote:

> The Stretz's wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to know where I can get a good dial indicator set.  My local
> > machine shop supplier and Snap-On guy both said they would be happy to
> > sell one to me for a couple hundred bucks!  I can't see spending that
> > kind of money for a tool that I'll use once every 8 months.  Has anybody
> > had any luck with any particular mail-order house?
>
> Try Sears, Harbor Freight Tools, Northern Industrial Supply.
> All have dial indicator sets for under $100.00
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Chad Jester     Seoul, KOREA
> '74 TR6         CF15486UO
> '65 Herald      GB32939LCV
> '6? Herald      GB????????

Save your money if you are only going to use it a few times. A good
feeler (thicknes) gauge will accomplish the same thing and through trial
and error you can measure the end play within .001". You can even get
fancy and get a go no go set.

Just completed my 70 TR6 engine and the method works fine.

I've been doing it this way for a number of years with great succes.

Good luck

Glenn Franco

71 &  74 (70 powertrain) TR6's