Re: cooling fans

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cooling fans
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:47:03 -0400 (EDT)
on 97-08-12 11:54:57 EDT, unknownsender@unknowndomain wrote:

> Here's your fallacy.  The fan you were using before (on the
> engine) is neither an efficient design (at least on my TR-4)
> nor is is shrouded, so the air it moves doesn't all
> necessarily go where you'd like it to for optimum cooling.
> You can, in fact, break even or a little better by using a
> well designed lightweight electric fan (the old one is
> _heavy_ too) in a good shroud.

There is no fallacy. I said "To move the same amount of air..." I also said
that an electric fan *could* be installed in a more efficient manner, thus
provide better cooling. Putting an electric fan in a shroud will provide
better cooling than an unshrouded mechanical fan, but the advantage is coming
from the shroud, not the fact that the fan is electrically driven. Putting a
shroud around the mechanical fan will also give an improvement, as will using
a more efficient blade design.

> The real win is that at idle,

Absolutely.

> you can move enough air to keep that big lump of iron cool
> even in stop-and-go in New Orleans in summer...

Maybe yes, maybe no. Only if the lack of adequate cooling from the mechanical
fan is due to low air flow. If, for example, the radiater is simply too
small, extra air flow will not solve the problem.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74