RE: Thrust Washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Thrust Washers
From: CLAY_SCOTT@HP-Loveland-om10.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 97 16:34:59 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Carol and the list,
  Way back in 1977 I owned a 1972 TR6 that had oil leaks all over the
engine and oil consumption problems.  I was able to freshen up the engine
in the car with no real problems.  Turned out the head was junk (16 cracks)
but the crank and bores were in good shape.  Honed the cylinders, rolled in
new bearings, replaced gaskets, fuel pump, cylinder head, etc. and was back
on the road.
  The interesting thing was I got almost all the parts from JC Whitney.
They carried more parts back then.  I could be wrong, it"s been 20 years,
but I'd swear the replacement bearing set had no thrust washers, just a
one-piece main like a conventional car.  Anybody else ever seen this?  I'm
pretty sure this was the case as I remember checking the end-float because
I didn't believe it would be right.  I've been wondering about it every
since I joined the list, just never asked.  The TR6 is long gone, so I'll
never be able to know for sure.

    My memory is as good as it ever was, as far as I can remember,

                                        Clay Scott
                                        2 1980 TR8 DHC's (the "twins")