Thanks for cold start help- now an electrical question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Subject: Thanks for cold start help- now an electrical question
From: jw@mail09.mitre.org (Joseph S. Whalley)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 97 21:04:59 -0400
Thanks to all that wrote about getting my 72 Spit to start - Chris Lillja was
right on the money - this car doesn't have a choke - it has an 'enrichment
circuit' that gives more gas, rather than choking off the air. Cleaned the 4
little holes and it starts right up.

In cleaning up wiring (twisted and taped connections everywhere), my ballast
resistor was hopelessly corroded. What exactly is this for - is it to reduce
12V to 6tV for the coil? Would a 12V coil be better? My local auto store had
no listing for the Spit ballast resistor of course, so I took a generic one
and the car seems to run fine. What is the proper reistance value for this
part?

Thanks again
Joe
72 Spitfire