RE: 3 Point SeatBelt

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 3 Point SeatBelt
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:15:22 -0700
I found some used retracting belts off a MKIV (I think) which fit OK into my
MKII (had lap belts). I had to drill a hole in each rear wheel well to mount to
shoulder loop-thingummy but I believe the other parts bolted directly into the
old lap belt mounts. I reinforced the wheel well mount using a couple of big
washers - the MKIII tub I recently acquired just has thickened body metal at
that location so I guess this would be about as strong. Also, make sure your
bolts don't poke out into the wheel well too far or they will contact the tyre.

The only other drawback was that the release buttons ended up facing into the
seats - not a problem for me but usually confuses the passenger. You also need
to mess around a bit with the alignment of the retractor portion to get it
vertical so that it locks up and releases when it's supposed to.
I'm not completely satisfied with this set-up but it has to be better than the
lap-belts plus I got the pair for only $20. They are pretty old but the locking
and retracting mechanism works fine and the belts are in good shape. I'll
probably replace them with new units when I run across a good deal or when the
mechanism gives up.

Mark Sinclair