Re: TR3a overdrive retrofit

To: <BFEKENG@aol.com>, <JAMES_S_WALLACE@hp-canada-om1.om.hp.com>
Subject: Re: TR3a overdrive retrofit
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:14:51 -0700
Cc: <TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
> From: BFEKENG@aol.com
> To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@hp-canada-om1.om.hp.com
> Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: TR3a overdrive retrofit
> Date: Thursday, June 26, 1997 6:56 AM
>
>   JIM There are a number of ways to handle this

<snip>

>   2/ Buy an o/d (a-type) from TR3A & be sure you get adapter plate & o/d
> mainshaft
> pretty straight forward but you will have to strip non-syncro box to put
in
> main output shaft.little difference in assy length.Quit easy to do.
>    No need to shorten drive shaft on either installation.

Careful with that axe Eugene...
I can think (yeah, but not real well) of at least two different od shafts
for the non synchro trans. The early ones have a really small diameter at
the third gear end (farthest from the od unit), and that diameter has got a
spiral lubing groove cut into it. Be careful if you purchase one of the
"oldies, but goodies" as your likelihood of finding a matching fourth gear
are about as good as your chances of stumbling across that dual flanged
chrome plated escutcheon plinth...That shaft was set up to run on a bronze
bushing, unlike the later non synchro boxes which have a real bearing
between these shafts.

Other than that...yeah what he said...piece-o-cake.
         Nick in Nor Cal

  3/Buy a non syncro box w/od & just exchange.However,syncro first is nice