Re: tr4 steering woes

To: "Charles Y. Farwell" <cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tr4 steering woes
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 97 18:25:49 EDT
On Jun 24,  6:08pm, Charles Y. Farwell wrote:
> So I thought the simple fix for sloppy TR4 steering was replace the
> rubber bushings - 8 bolts, piece of cake, right? I forgot the LBC
> addage, however, that nothing ever fits quite right!!!

I assume we're talking about the rotoflex-type couplings that are in the
steering column?

> The four holes on the bushings (from TRF) are about 1/8" wider than
> they should be. No big deal for the first three, actually, but by
> the time you are ready to put in the 4th, the bushing has been
> compressed such that the skew is probably 1/4" or greater!

Yup, that's the way they are.

> On the top bushing I corrected the skew (with some difficulty) using
> a C clamp. On the bottom one, though, there is no way to affix the
> clamp. What's the trick? Am I going about this all wrong? Any hints
> would be welcomed.

There are two things that you can do.  When I was still using the
rubber pieces in my steering column, I used a hefty hose clamp to
compress the piece to get the bolts installed.  However, I'm now
using the metal U-joints from a TR-6 steering column instead.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm