Re: [Fwd: replacing differential]

To: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: replacing differential]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:33:39 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Zink wrote:

> Serious question time.  Do I have to remove the entire rear suspension
> to replace the diff. assembly?

No, it just seems that way. ;-)

> Or can it be done by removing the stub
> shaft bolts. spring bolts and diff mount bolts?

That's pretty much it, along with getting the exhaust system out of the
way.

Expect the rear diff. bolt to be the real, er, challenge of the whole
affair. IMS, the original Herald chassis used two short bolts here, but
the later Herald/Spitfire/etc. used one REALLY LONG, quick-rusting bolt.

Also note that this operation can easily lead to a classic, textbook case
of "Shipwright's Disease" as one realizes that one should replace the
rubber mounts, and maybe the u-joints, and "oh yeah, I could do something
with that spring" and then "well, maybe I'll just touch up those rusty
spots on the underside" and....

--Andy