RE: Starting spitfire cold, engine instruments question (Novice)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested), "(Joseph S. Whalley)" <jw@mail09.mitre.org> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Starting spitfire cold, engine instruments question (Novice)
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 23 Jun 1997 07:37:06 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 07C4833AE8A1202F-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 23 Jun 1997 07:37:06 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 23 Jun 1997 07:37:06 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <07C4833AE8A1202F*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Joseph S. Whalley wrote:

I have recently obtained a 72 Spitfire that had not run in 3 years. [snip]
Regarding instruments, the temp gauge ends in the engine compartment with a
big sensor that should screw into a hole in the block - it's a thermal
sensor,not electrical. My manual shows the temp sensor to be electrical.  I
also found a thin tube, (that I thought was a black wire) coming from the
block up the the panel, but not connected. It appears that this is full of
oil, and is some kind of oil pressure sender, again, I thought that this
should be electrical. What would this tube connect to - it has a wood screw
in the end of it! Do I have some non-standard sensors and temp gauge that
need to beripped out? Since neither is connected at both ends, I
effectively have
nothing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Joe - sounds like you are correct on both points.  Without seeing the dash
I can't comment on the gauges, but my understanding is that Smith
electrical gauges were the factory equipment in the 1500 Spitfires.  I also
am pretty sure the sender for the water temp. in the 1500 screws into the
neck for the radiator hose, same as it does on my Mk I Spitfire.  However,
you state it is a "thermal" sender - actually, unless you have a tube with
hot coolant running to the gauge, all electrical temp. senders are
"thermal" in nature, it's just that the resistant coil spring is mounted in
the sender versus the gauge.

Ross D. Vincenti - Costa Mesa, CA
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe