Re: IT'S FIXED !! (was MY CAR WON'T START)

To: "Mark S. Lepore, M.D." <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: IT'S FIXED !! (was MY CAR WON'T START)
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:50:39 -0500
Cc: Irv Korey <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>, DANMAS@aol.com, fontaine@scooby.lklnd.usf.edu, "thefryes@iconn.netak627"@dayton.wright.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark S. Lepore, M.D. wrote:

> Thank you all very much for your quick responses to my emergency.  The
> problem was, in fact, what many of you suggested: The battery was just
> flat out bad.  I replaced it with a new one, and the car starts fine.
> My many thanks.
> Also, thank you all for the idle speed responses.  I have yet to tear
> into that problem.
>
> One more question: At this point, do I still need to worry that the
> alternator might not be working.  In other words, could it be that the
> last battery died before its time because it was not being charged by
> the alternator.  If so, I fear the same will happen to this new
> battery.  Anyone know if this could be the case, and how could I
> diagnose this (e.g. looking at the amp gauge, or something).
> Sirmoog

If the car is not or was not a daily or weekly driver , the chances are
pretty good that the battery died of lack of use.  Batteries tend to
sulfate if they don't have a chance to discharge and then fully
recharge.  Probably one of the worst things you can do to a battery is
start the car drive only a short distance and the let the car sit for an
extended period.  Starting a car requires a hugh amount of voltage and
it takes our Lucas electrics awhile to build  a battery back up.  If you
are not goimg to use the car on a regular basis(after the new wears
off), you may wish to invest in a battery minder.  This is a low
amperage trickle charger with a micro prcessor that stays hooked up to
your battery and stays plugged into an electrical outlet to maintaine a
full charge on the battery.  I use one on my ski boat and it works
great.

As always this is JMO
Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4