Re: Transport for parts needed W to E

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transport for parts needed W to E
From: transerv@sprynet.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:46:30 -0700
Bob,

I've been in the freight business for years, and the way most used body parts
suppliers get around the cost of shipping is to declare it scrap metal.

You do not get the insurance coverage, so if the freight line breaks it, bend
it, or lose it, they are only liable for "scrap metal".

The cost of shipping however is reduced considerably.

I would suggest taking time and some $ to package the fenders extensively.
Thay
is, reinforce the length and width with plywood pieces or 1x4s..then make a box
of 1" styrofoam insulation board, put together with strapping tape, and then
cover everything with two layers of new corregated cardboard.

Put the to and from labels on all sides, several time, and write "glass",
"fragile" if you wish. Keep in mind that most teamsters think "fragile" is a
french word for "park the forklift here."

Finally, try RPS, UPS's competitor.  Call the 800 number, fudge when you give
them the size, and hand the package to the driver when he comes to pick up.
The
makimum size is 140" length and girth combined.  Give the smallest area
measurement for the girth, and fudge on the length a few inches if necessary.
The driver wont know the difference, and once picked up they will pay for all
damages and loss.  Basic rate should be about $15-20, plus $0.35 for each $100
valuation.

I ran an RPS terminal and will bet you a TR4 brake pad to a donut, the RPS
drive
may grumble about making a residential PU, but he wont turn down the oversize
package.  He doesn't get paid for the pick up if he doesn't take the package.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Robert Houston
Still waiting on the TR4 parts to magically attach themselves to the 63.