FW:

To: triumphs
Subject: FW:
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:25:38 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Lindsay, Mike"
<LindsayM@fish.govt.nz>]]

     Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:17:06 +1200
     From: "Lindsay, Mike" <LindsayM@fish.govt.nz>
     Subject: Spit Mk III waterpump type ?

Hi,

I have been a subscriber to this list for some months now as I have
toiled away on the rebuild of my Mk III  Spitfire.

Despite being a bit of a computer nerd pulling  out VGA cards and
replacing CPUs I am very unsure of the newsgroup protocol and suspect
that I may be sending out this email to God knows where.

I trust that it is only going only to the Triumph newsgroup, and if not
I apologize.

The story so far :
I purchased recently (and very very cheaply) a 1969 Mk III spitfire in
dire need of
repair. The little car has been off the road for the past eight years
and was
obviously someone else's lost restoration dream.

I have fallen in love with her….. Some restoration work had been done
(the body had been stripped and repainted sort of)
All lights and bumpers where/are missing. A very good
friend of mine is a professional car painter / panel beater and he
looked over my shoulder as I looked at this lovely little car. It was a
project that I
would not have taken on without his enthusiasm, anticipated help and his
philosophy which is "Man made it Man can fix it"

I have spent the last few month gathering various parts (sills, inner
outer and centre,  patch panels, a battery box and a complete floor
pan.)

I trailored the car home and with the expected care attempted to fire
her up. = Remove the plugs and inject a squirt of light oil. Wind the
engine over by hand
(No unusual noises and surprisingly lots of compression)
Hook up battery and wind over and oil pressure came up OK.
Connect ignition and check for spark = OK.
Put plugs back in, prime fuel pump, utter a mantra and cast chicken
bones.
And bravo, I am not sure what was noisier, The roar of the little LBC
engine (with no exhaust whatsoever) or the resounding "yahoo" uttered by
my good self
as the lovely little engine settled down to a very steady and healthy
idle.
(Oil and filter change followed)

So now my question.
I have had the radiator recored and was concerned to find that after my
by brief engine run that the engine was obviously losing water
somewhere. Suspecting the worst I checked for water in sump oil (None)
then noticed the next day that what I thought was a leak from the
bottom radiator hose was in fact water being thrown out
by the water pump. No problem. Replace water pump, but
I cannot find a part listing for the water pump on a Mk III.

The best information I have is that the water pump on all heralds and
(Spitfires Mk 1 - Mk II) = GWP 200

Spit Mk IV = GWP 128.

I suspect that the Mk III should also be GWP 200 .

Is there  anyone out there that can confirm that for me?
Is there anyone else out there that might have front and rear bumper(s)
for a Mk III ?

Cheers
Mike

Wellington