Spitfire Timing Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Timing Problem
From: TRIA73@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
6/15/97

Experiencing timing problems with a '73 Spitfire.  The engine was rebuilt 2
years and 4000 miles ago with all major components renewed and a mild Kent
cam and dual SU HS4's installed.  I have thoroughly investigated the ignition
and vacuum system.  I have a vacuum retard Delco Remy distributor so there
aren't many areas for leaks.  During the diagnoses of this problem I
installed a Crane electronic ignition system with no improvement.  Have also
checked for bent push rods and reset valves.  Possibility of defective timing
chain tensioner?  There is little play in the timing chain.  Timing randomly
jumps from 16 BTDC to 8 BTDC and back again.  When run a high RPM's engine
tends to stay advanced when coming to a stop and idling, when run at lower
RPM's tends to stay retarded.  Even during tuning in the garage the timing
will fluctuate, usually when balancing the carbs.  Please post/forward any
thoughts or suggestions regarding diagnoses of this condition.

Randy Dunn
TRIA73@aol.com
MAKE EVERYDAY A TRIUMPH DAY!
even if you're working on your Triumph instead of driving it