Transmission Fluid

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission Fluid
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:19:29 -0700
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:30:08 -0500
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: TR8 Tranny Lube

Could someone volunteer some advice on TR8 tranny lube? I have heard
varying responses on what kind and how much to put in.

The last I heard, it was ATF, even though the manual stated hypoid 75.
Also, I am hearing that one should actually put in three quarts, instead
of the recommended two quarts, to aid the  pump that moves the stuff
around.  The theory is that if the pump goes bad, the splash lubrication
will work.

TIA
- --
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)

Bob,

The common hot set up these days is GM Syncro Mesh fluid available at
any
GM dealer.  A little expensive, but worth it.  I use it in both of my
8s.
Don't put 3 quarts in your transmission--it won't splash enough to save
it.  Trust me, I know!  Instead, check your pump to see if it works.  It
is very easy to do.  Locate the the plug in the rear cover.  Start you
engine and let it idle.  Remove the plug.  A steady flow means your pump
is working.  Seal plug with Loctite 270.

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1981 TR8 F.I.