Re: TR6 Oil Pressure

To: difejo@consumer.org
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Pressure
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:18:06 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

If you had brand new bearngs in your car, 25 PSI is about the normal
hot idle oil pressure. The key is: what is the pressure at highway speeds. 50
to 60 psi is what it should be. If the pressure is lower, you may need to
redo the bearings.

I think the idiot light is rigged to come on at 10 psi. If your oil
pressure is that low, something is wrong!

The "faint sound" you describe is a bit vague, but I'll offer theory. It
could be loosness in the valve train, have you adjusted the valve lash?
Don't forget, this is a solid cam car. You have to adjust these things
from time to time. It could be the wrist pin end of the rods, but to be
honest, rod noises are almost always knocking sounds...

As for replacing the bearings, noted TR6 expert Len Renkenburger suggests
"in-place" bearing replacement at 50k mile intervals. This could be
overkill, but he claims that by going that route you can get 200k miles
out of the engine before you nedd to grnd the crank etc. My experience is
that the crank is "real hard" and the two motors that I have taken apart
after 80K miles and "unknown" miles is that the cranks do not wear too
much as long as the oil is changed regularly.

Note: the "in place" bearing replacement is done with the motor "in
place" you just drop the pan and have at it.

Good luck with whatever you do, but it the motor only has 50k miles so
far, I'd wait a few years before taking the thing apart. Unless it is
leaking like a sieve, but that's another matter.

regards,
rml

p.s. sorry if this got sent twice, my mailer crashed and I wasn't sure it
went out or not.
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few, actually.