Fuel Injector Failure

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel Injector Failure
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 15:30:56 -0700
This is for you who have injected 7's and 8's (or any other in MPI
injected car).

I was 200 miles from home on a fly fishing trip in the Jeep. (Car make
not material).  The #1 injector body began leaking profusely.  Not the
rubber seal, but the seam between the metal part and the plastic part of
the injector body.  What do you do?

#1 Removed fuel rail.  (easy and accessable, since I recently installed
new seals)
#2 Removed failing injector.
#3 Made a wood spike from a twig about 1/8" diameter and forced it into
the injector inlet.
#4 Trimmed off excess wood.
#5 Reinstalled injector
#6 Reinstalled fuel rail.
#7 Test ran the engine.  No more leaking.
#8 Drove home uneventfully on 5 cylinders.

Was it the 7 years of age on the injector?  Was it the MTBE in the
Gasoline?  Was it the 149,000 miles on the engine?  Who knows.

When I inquired about getting replacements a few months ago, when I did
the seals, the dealer told me those injectors were on a "national
backorder'.  In other words, everybody's are going out at once.

Check your injectors for seeping fuel.  You don't want to find a a
stream  of fuel running down over the exhaust manifold making a puddle
in the campground parking lot 200 miles from home.

By the way, the fishing was great.

Brian N